Gwanda State University
Applications are invited to fill a vacancy in the Vice- Chancellor’s Office as a Crop Specialist.
The Crop Specialist is responsible for the following:
- Planning, organising, directing and controlling activities of the Agro-Innovation Park’s Crops Section.
- Planning and scheduling land preparation for timely planting of crops as per cropping programme;
- Ensuring that soil and plant samples are processed and recommending improvement of soil and plant nutrition;
- Calibrating planters, fertilizer spreaders, boom sprayers and supervising their respective operations in the field;
- Scheduling irrigation and ensuring efficient utilisation of water to meet crop water requirements;
- Planning for labour requirements and participating in the recruiting and training of staff
- Supervising workers undertaking various activities including planting, irrigation, fertilizer application, chemical applications, harvesting and grading;
- Regularly scouting for diseases, pests and physiological disorders and recommending corrective actions where necessary;
- Identifying maturity indices for all crops grown and recommending harvesting dates, appropriate harvesting and storage conditions;
- Participating in cropping programme planning, budgeting and financial reports preparation;
- Facilitating the purchase of inputs such as seed, fertilizer and chemicals in collaboration with the Procurement Management Unit;
- Supporting the Director in the monitoring of the Agro-Innovation Park operating budget
- Maintaining production and crop management practices records
- Arranging for sales of crops in collaboration with the Marketing Manager
- Inspecting machinery, equipment and facilities to establish maintenance and repair requirements;
- Ensuring that all staff adhere to health and safety regulation;
- Ensuring that the Crop Production Unit complies with all relevant statutory regulations.
- Keeping abreast with developments and trends in Crop Production Science.
- Undertaking any other related duties as assigned by the Director.
Qualifications and Experience
- A Bachelor of Science Degree in Agriculture/Crop Science or related discipline from a recognised institution.
- A Master’s Degree in Crop Science or equivalent is an added advantage.
- At least three (3) years hands-on crop farming experience, preferably in a leadership role.
- Hands-on experience at a commercial farming entity.
Conditions of Service
Medical Aid, Leave and Pension Benefits are offered. The information on salary and other benefits will be made available to the short-listed candidates.
Soft copies in a single continuous PDF file of each of the following: application letter, certified copies of educational and professional certificates, national identity card, birth certificate and curriculum vitae giving full personal particulars including full name, place and date of birth, qualifications and previous employment and experience, present salary, date of availability, telephone number, email address, names and addresses of three referees including email addresses should be sent to: email@example.com or hand delivered to:
Human Resources Section
Gwanda State University
Epoch Mine Campus
P O Box 30
The closing date for the receipt of applications is Friday, 01 July 2022.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org