Sybeth Musengezi, who filed a High Court petition challenging President Emmerson Mnangagwa’s legitimacy, claims his life is in danger because of the case.
Musengezi, who claims to be a ZANU PF youth member, is claiming that President Mnangagwa’s ascension to the party’s leadership in 2017 following the death of late senior leader Robert Mugabe was illegal.
He filed his challenge last year, but Mnangagwa’s lawyers have been pressuring him to withdraw the High Court case, and some ZANU PF supporters have threatened him with unspecified action.
Sources within the party think Musengezi is the result of a purported agreement between former G40 members and Vice-President Constantino Chiwenga to sabotage Mnangagwa’s desire to run in the 2023 elections, which Musengezi has denied.
Musengezi told NewsDay on Sunday that death threats had increased ahead of this week’s court hearing on Wednesday. He stated:
Yes, in recent weeks, I’ve seen a number of unmarked vehicles parked just outside of my yard. Sometimes they park when I’m not there and my colleagues would call me to say there is a vehicle or vehicles without plates parked at home.
I personally confronted those people and they just drive off. I can’t really say I’m safe because I don’t know what these people are up to, but if anything is to happen to me, obviously it is people linked to the case.
I have received threats since I launched the legitimacy application last year, with people trying to intimidate me to withdraw and at one point, was arrested and detained for 10 days on a spurious charge to try and force me to withdraw the matter. So, after realising that threats and detention have failed, they have resorted to intimidation tactics.
He said he would not be shaken by threats since he was doing the right thing for the country.
Musengezi’s lawyer Nqobani Sithole of Ncube Attorneys confirmed the death threats which are said to have escalated since September 21, 2022 date,” Sithole said.